Heavy menstrual bleeding also known as Menorrhagia is not a rare condition in women which can be also followed by many other serious expressions. It is characterized by abnormally prolonged or heavy periods and the symptoms change from one to others depending on one’s body features.
If you want to know effective home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you 44 natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding clots. The writing is collected from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Symptoms Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
It is not difficult to find out the symptoms of heavy menstrual bleeding. The signs and symptoms of the condition can be listed as below:
- Bleed for more than 1 week
- Appear blood clots along with the menstrual flow for more than 1 day
- Soak through 1 or more tampons or sanitary pads every hour within several consecutive hours
- Need to use double sanitary protection for controlling the menstrual flow
- Need to wake up through night to change sanitary protection
- Need to restrict daily activities because of heavy menstrual flow
- Suffer from some symptoms of anemia like tiredness, fatigue, and shortness of breath
Causes Of Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
To consider right treatments for heavy menstrual bleeding, it is necessary to find out the causes of the condition.The cause of heavy menstrual bleeding is sometimes unknown but common causes of the condition can be considered as below:
- Hormone imbalance:There needs a balance betweenthe estrogen and progesterone hormones in a normal menstrual cycle to regulate the buildup of the endometrium that is shed during menstruation. Also, if a hormone imbalance takes place, the endometrium may excessively develop and eventually lead to heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Dysfunction of the ovaries: When your ovaries do not release an egg during a menstrual cycle then your body can not produce the progesterone hormone as usual, which leads to a hormone imbalance and results in heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Uterine Fibroids: Uterine Fibroids are considered noncancerous tumors of the uterus appearing during childbearing years. They can moreover cause heavier or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Polyps: Polyps of the uterusthat are known assmall and benign growths on the lining of the uterus are also the cause of heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. They most commonly occur in the reproductive- age women because of high hormone levels.
- Adenomyosis: Adenomyosisusually occurs as the glands from the endometrium are embedded in uterine muscles, which in turn causes heavy bleeding even painful menses. The condition is most common in middle-aged women who have had children.
- Intrauterine device (IUD): Heavy menstrual bleeding is considered a side effect of usingthe nonhormonal intrauterine device for birth control. And when the device causes you to excessive menstrual bleeding, you need to remove it immediately.
- Pregnancy complications: A heavy and late period may be caused by a miscarriage. However, if bleeding occurs at right time of menstruation, miscarriage may not be the cause of menorrhagia. In this case, you can consider if there is an ectopic pregnancy, an implantation of a fertilized egg of the fallopian tube not of the uterus that can also cause menorrhagia.
- Inherited Bleeding Disorders: There are some blood coagulation disorders like von Willebrand’s disease that comes with a deficiency or impairment of an important blood-clotting factor causing abnormal menstrual bleeding.
- Cancer: Although it is rare, you should be also careful to check if there is the occurrence of uterine cancer, ovarian cancer or cervical cancer because the diseases can also cause heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Medications: Certain drugs likeanticoagulants and anti-inflammatory medications can also contribute to heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Other medical conditions: Other medical conditions such as pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, thyroid problems,liver or kidney diseases are listed in the causes of menorrhagia.
44 Natural Home Remedies For Heavy Menstrual Bleeding Clots
1. Hawthorn Flowers
Hawthorn flower is considered one of the natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding you should know. It is very beneficial for treating several conditions related to menstruation, including the blood clot discharge, and abdominal pain as well as heavy menstrual bleeding. All you need to do with the flowers are revealed as below:
- Mix 30 grams of hawthorn flowers with 15 grams of saffron
- Put this mixture in boil water and leave for 5- 10 minutes
- Consume this decoction when it is still warm to get its best benefits.
2. Mango Bark
Another of natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding is mango bark.
- Prepare some mango bark then blend it well to get mango bark extract
- Mix 10ml of this mango bark juice with 130 ml of plain water
- Consume 1 teaspoon of this solution every hour to arrest excessive periods.
3. Chaste Tree
Chaste tree is another of the natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding you should know. It is capable of stimulating the progesterone production, which in turn slows down menstrual bleeding.
In addition, chaste tree is also beneficial in normalizing the balance of the hormone cycle in females. Also, it aids in releasing high amounts of progesterone as well as inhibiting the estrogen release. Chaste tree can also decrease uterine bleeding. All you need to do is consuming 30 to 35 drops of chaste tree extract 4 times a day when you suffer from heavy bleeding.
4. Herbal Powder
The mixture of herbs is one of the effective home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. Having an intake of herbal powder is very beneficial in easing excessive bleeding in menstruation.
- Prepare 50 grams of nigella seeds, 20 grams each of bamboo sugar, red rose powder, amylase, and oak tree gum.
- Burn the nigella seeds in a saucepan
- Mix all these ingredients above together and grind them well until getting a powder mixture
- Consume half a teaspoon of this herbal powder along with snakeroot syrup to get your expected result.
The natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding also include fenugreek. Fenugreek will be capable of reducing excessive bleeding and cramps during menstruation. You can easily find fenugreek seeds available from eastern spice stores, health food stores or online stores.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and let it stay for about 15 minutes
- Consume this water along with the soaked fenugreek seeds for 3 days before the new period starts and during this period to lighten periods as well as stop periods early.
6. Lady’s Mantle
The essential oil extracted from the lady’s mental leaves can help a lot in stopping heavy menstrual bleeding. If you take it on a regular basis within several months, you may get rid of the condition completely.
To use Lady’s mantle essential oil as one of home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding and cramping intensity, you should easily consume 20 to 20 drops of this Lady’s Mantle essential oil per day for 3 weeks before the expected start of your menstruation.
7. Shepherd’s Purse
Shepherd’s purse is another of the natural home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. The reason is that it is loaded with a powerful astringent property making blood vessels get constricted thereby likely reducing blood flow within a few minutes. This herb also assists in addressing postpartum bleeding.
- Mix1 to 2 teaspoons of this herb with 1 milliliter of lukewarm water and grind them well to get the shepherd’s purse extract
- Consume this every 3 hours within 3 days.
8. Bamboo Leaves
Bamboo leaves and nodes of bamboo are used as excellent home remedies for heavy menstrual bleeding. This decoction will be beneficial in regulating your menstrual cycle.
- Boil the bamboo leaves or nodes with water
- Sip this water twice a day for treating problems related to menstruation.